+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Central America - what's gone wrong?

Tinny is offline Was once a Ray of Sunshine. Now Rusty. Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny

Default Central America - what's gone wrong?

Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador and to a lesser extent, Belize, some of the poorest countries in the world with the highest murder rates (along with Venezuela) and home to the most violent gangs like MS-13 and Barrio 18 with the tattooed faces (as seen on Kenco advert).

I know that drugs play a part but why are the governments so bad and why can't they control the gangs and stop the murders?

Why is this part of the world more dangerous than anywhere else outside of war zones?

Tinny is offline Was once a Ray of Sunshine. Now Rusty. Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny

Forgot to mention that this was the area that was once the Maya Civilisation who practised human sacrifice so maybe the people there were always violent.

Anywhere that has a banana based economy, Tinny. The Maldives are much the same now.

Poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by Scurlogue View Post
    Poverty.
    Poverty, massive inequality and the absolute economic and political corruption through drugs.

The war on drugs claims whole countries as a victim when production is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Speechlessly mine View Post
    Poverty, massive inequality and the absolute economic and political corruption through drugs.

The war on drugs claims whole countries as a victim when production is involved.
    There's poverty everywhere, that doesn't explain the extreme violence and massive murder rate.

The drug barons pay to keep a corrupt police force and government in place,

There has also been what feels like a never-ending series of civil wars in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinny View Post
    There's poverty everywhere, that doesn't explain the extreme violence and massive murder rate.
    Perhaps read beyond the first word of my post?

Quote Originally Posted by Speechlessly mine View Post
    Perhaps read beyond the first word of my post?
    There's inequality everywhere too, and they're not the drug producing countries, cocaine is grown in Colombia, Peru and Bolivia and trafficked through Mexico to the US and Canada and the vast majority of heroin that goes there is produced in Mexico itself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast