+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread: Read any good books lately?

Must just be my Canadian relatives then. Though it was the female students 'must read' book when it was published, and OH was doing her masters then. Atwood has always denied it's meant as a feminist book, more a political chiller. I'm not sure if 'enjoyed' is quite the right term to apply to my feelings on it, but it's a modern classic.

Yes - that's why I downloaded it, IIRC. It's a good story, but I found the way it was written quite dry.

Fred and Rose - Howard Sounes.

A tale of depravity, horror, unspeakable cruelty, and serial murder.

Books of Blood, Vol. 1 by Clive Barker.

Like Scurlogue's selection, this book also features tales of depravity, horror, unspeakable cruelty and serial murder...but also some fairly graphic bumsex. So it's not all doom and gloom.

Tinny is offline Was once a Ray of Sunshine. Now Rusty. Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post

Like Scurlogue's selection, this book also features tales of depravity, horror, unspeakable cruelty and serial murder...but also some fairly graphic bumsex. So it's not all doom and gloom.
    Barker didn't come out for some years after this though I don't think.

I think I read that when I was a teenager.

Been reading the Poirot books.

I've read a few by Barker, you can guarantee some gratuitous sex in there somewhere

Tinny is offline Was once a Ray of Sunshine. Now Rusty. Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny Tinny

Was is in "In the Hills, the Cities"? Or one of the other ones? I think I liked that story.

Quote Originally Posted by gaz View Post
    I've read a few by Barker, you can guarantee some gratuitous sex in there somewhere
    Do you remember Shaun Hutson? He was trying to be like Barker, mainly aimed his books at teenage boys who like heavy metal I think. Possibly one of the inspirations for Garth Marenghi.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinny View Post
    Do you remember Shaun Hutson? He was trying to be like Barker, mainly aimed his books at teenage boys who like heavy metal I think. Possibly one of the inspirations for Garth Marenghi.
    After my teenage years I suspect, so no.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004DUMM...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
    That's the Barker I recall, I think JK Rowling must have read it too.

Quote Originally Posted by gaz View Post
    After my teenage years I suspect, so no.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004DUMM...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
    That's the Barker I recall, I think JK Rowling must have read it too.
    Not read that one, poor quote from a supposed author, Stephen King on the cover though, "I am literally tongue-tied", don't think so Steve.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast