+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will a team outside of Europe or South America ever win the World Cup?

Default Will a team outside of Europe or South America ever win the World Cup?

Looking at the second round of this years edition I can't help but think that the quarters are going to be all Europe / South American match-ups. Maybe Costa Rica can beat Greece but with all due respect to Algeria, the USA and Nigeria I think they are "heavy underdogs" in there up coming ties.

All four Asian teams finished bottom of their groups. The favoured (or at least most hyped) African Teams, Ivory Coast and Ghana, managed one win between them (against Jaoan). Isn't it already 14 years since Africa was "supposed" to win the World Cup?

Does anyone expect to see a none Euopean or South Merican champion during their lifetime. Maybe the USA with it's rapidly expanding Latino population could have a serious run in a few years? What if a huge populous country like China ever catches the football bug? Thoughts?

I think the USA will break that monopoly first. But probably not for decades yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scurlogue View Post
    I think the USA will break that monopoly first. But probably not for decades yet.
    Might be sooner than you think if they insist on playing Germans in their team ( sorry Lou, I had to )

Watch out for Qatar in 2022 as well. I would bet my mortgage that they currently have scouts all over Africa finding young talented kids and "fast tracking" them into Qatari citizenship. I doubt they will win it, but I don't think they will be cannon fodder either. When your dirt poor money talks.

^ I will give you any odds you like on Qatar winning the 2022 WC, especially as it won't be being played in Qatar

I agree with Scur, the USA are the big improvers in world football - they produce very strong, athletic players - they are just lacking a bit of footballing nous and technical skills though to win just yet

Don't forget South Korea readymade a semi final, albeit with home advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Okktober View Post
    ^ I will give you any odds you like on Qatar winning the 2022 WC, especially as it won't be being played in Qatar

I agree with Scur, the USA are the big improvers in world football - they produce very strong, athletic players - they are just lacking a bit of footballing nous and technical skills though to win just yet
    Ha Ha. I think I'll not take that bet . My point is valid though. I bet their team, if it is held in Qatar, will be almost exclusively made up of newly naturalised Qatari's.

Like their athletics team?

+ Reply to Thread