+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Wheels Good.........Two Wheels Better..

I ride my bike as often as possible. There's a fair bit of mountain biking possible, I have a MTB, I'd better not say what it is. I have 2 sets of wheels for easy swapping between cut slicks and mud tyres. We live in an area famed for road cycling, and have literally 10 000 bikes past our gate every saturday and Sunday, and still a fair few in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by gaz View Post
    I have a MTB, I'd better not say what it is.
    Something a bit fancy, then?

I think my lock is worth more than the bike it protects.

Quote Originally Posted by Archduke Von Horns View Post
    Something a bit fancy, then?

I think my lock is worth more than the bike it protects.
    I've been told that discussing my most treasured possessions is vulgar

I don't own a bike lock any more. I never leave it anywhere except my own garage.

Cycling in general can be pretty expensive. I ride an old beater of a bike and wear cheapo gear, and still I seem to spend a fortune on parts, tubes/tyres, extra bits of clothing when it gets cold, etc etc...
    There's always something that needs fettling on them isn't there?

Quote Originally Posted by Uly View Post
    There's always something that needs fettling on them isn't there?
    Absolutely. I sorted out all my receipts to send to my accountants the other day, and I was amazed how much I manage to spend. I've lost count of how many inner tubes I've bought this year.

Absolutely. I sorted out all my receipts to send to my accountants the other day, and I was amazed how much I manage to spend. I've lost count of how many inner tubes I've bought this year.
    I think that's a city streets thing. I used to commute by bicycle, 9 miles each way from Streatham to Shepherds bush. I used to get 1-2 punctures a week. Now it's a real rarity. There's one trail we've learned to avoid owing to an excess of hawthorne branches on the ground. I'm guessing I haven't had one for a year or more. My slicks are Kevlar belted though, that helps a lot, but I'm sure you must have tried it.

My son gets his bike for 30% of the cost via the water company he works for. It's part of a bike to work initiative or something but seeing as he works 50 miles away from his home he just uses it for mountain biking.

Quote Originally Posted by gaz View Post
    I think that's a city streets thing. I used to commute by bicycle, 9 miles each way from Streatham to Shepherds bush. I used to get 1-2 punctures a week. Now it's a real rarity. There's one trail we've learned to avoid owing to an excess of hawthorne branches on the ground. I'm guessing I haven't had one for a year or more. My slicks are Kevlar belted though, that helps a lot, but I'm sure you must have tried it.
    Yeah, it's usually little bits of glass that does it - generally beer bottle coloured. I've tried a variety of tyres that offer puncture protection, but they're generally only good for two or three months then they start picking up punctures. I had a set of Conti Gatorskins on last that were great at first, then got to the point where I was getting a puncture pretty much every day. Now I'm trying Schwalbe Durano Plus, which come with a thick layer of special rubber that traps the sharps and stops them getting through to the tube. So far they're good - I've picked a couple of big shards out of them that would have finished a lesser tyre. They're a fair bit comfier to ride on than the Contis, too.

Yeah, it's usually little bits of glass that does it - generally beer bottle coloured. I've tried a variety of tyres that offer puncture protection, but they're generally only good for two or three months then they start picking up punctures. I had a set of Conti Gatorskins on last that were great at first, then got to the point where I was getting a puncture pretty much every day. Now I'm trying Schwalbe Durano Plus, which come with a thick layer of special rubber that traps the sharps and stops them getting through to the tube. So far they're good - I've picked a couple of big shards out of them that would have finished a lesser tyre. They're a fair bit comfier to ride on than the Contis, too.
    I've got them on ATM. The comfort factor, I can't feel it, I have a downhill bike with quite supple suspension, if you have very unyielding tyres it tends to shield you. I wouldn't have it if I rode in London though. At risk of sounding a bit like one of our other members, I'd worry about being mugged for it.

I wouldn't say they were exactly comfortable. They just don't jar your teeth out on every bump and pothole like the Contis did. Mind you, I was running them at 120psi.

I think it's best to ride something dirty, old and beaten-up in London. Not that I think I'd get mugged, but I have to lock it up outside now and then and I don't want to attract any more attention than necessary.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast