+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Ginger!! 82 Days To Go...

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Jurassic World!
    Posts
    16,063

    Default

    3 or 4 years ago we decided to do the same, and stay at home instead of spending christmas day chasing between my mum & the inlaws. It's soooo much nicer - anyone can come to our house if they want, but we've had enough of doing the driving around thing. I look forward to christmas so much more now.

  2. #12

    Default

    This is scary for anyone with grown-up kids. I hope mine never feel obligated to spend time with me out of a sense of duty. I hope it's because they want to. I wouldn't be offended if they said they wanted to spend Christmas on their own. They know I hate it anyway.
    Having said that, I will always make time to see my Mum on Christmas day. At 96, you never know if there'll be another.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Having said that, I will always make time to see my Mum on Christmas day. At 96, you never know if there'll be another.
    Your mum must be older than Methuselah if you're 96 (and fully compos mentis for your age too!)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Who Knows
    Posts
    9,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    This is scary for anyone with grown-up kids. I hope mine never feel obligated to spend time with me out of a sense of duty. I hope it's because they want to. I wouldn't be offended if they said they wanted to spend Christmas on their own. They know I hate it anyway.
    Having said that, I will always make time to see my Mum on Christmas day. At 96, you never know if there'll be another.
    This is what my sister and i said last year - that this would probably be mum's last christmas. And it was. :( :(

    :-/

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Splod View Post
    This is what my sister and i said last year - that this would probably be mum's last christmas. And it was. :( :(

    :-/
    My grandma is 90, and has started off telling everybody she won't be here much longer, and is glad too. I think old people get to a point when they know the end is nigh, and give up.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Black ops - DTG
    Posts
    15,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses31 View Post
    My grandma is 90, and has started off telling everybody she won't be here much longer, and is glad too. I think old people get to a point when they know the end is nigh, and give up.
    I still have 4 parents/in laws, with a combined age of 347. So I daresay we'll be doing 700 miles over Xmas, visiting.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Order of the Slutty Empire
    Posts
    9,597

    Default

    I'm just a grumpy anti-social git and tell everyone to bog off and talk to me when it's over.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses31 View Post
    Your mum must be older than Methuselah if you're 96 (and fully compos mentis for your age too!)
    Yes, and I only piss myself occasionally too


    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses31 View Post
    My grandma is 90, and has started off telling everybody she won't be here much longer, and is glad too. I think old people get to a point when they know the end is nigh, and give up.
    Oh, my mum has had enough. She's ready to go.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Yes, and I only piss myself occasionally too


    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Oh, my mum has had enough. She's ready to go.
    My grandma has a little repertoire of around a dozen or so stock stories from the war, or her early years of marriage in Ireland to my late grandad now that she just regurgitates endlessly. It's as though only the auxiliary systems are still on.

    She also shakes her head sadly whenever the grandkids are around and says "I'm glad I'm at this end, and not that end" :hmm:

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Peeping through a cloud
    Posts
    4,152

    Default

    My gran was the same. She died last year age 91. She outlived my grandpa by 20 years and was the only one left of all her siblings and friends.

    I think it must be so sad to have suffered so much loss.

    She had tremendous spirit though. Her regular response when asked how she was, was "I'm deid but I'll no lie doon!"

    (((Splod)))

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts