+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ginger!! 82 Days To Go...

3 or 4 years ago we decided to do the same, and stay at home instead of spending christmas day chasing between my mum & the inlaws. It's soooo much nicer - anyone can come to our house if they want, but we've had enough of doing the driving around thing. I look forward to christmas so much more now.

This is scary for anyone with grown-up kids. I hope mine never feel obligated to spend time with me out of a sense of duty. I hope it's because they want to. I wouldn't be offended if they said they wanted to spend Christmas on their own. They know I hate it anyway.
    Having said that, I will always make time to see my Mum on Christmas day. At 96, you never know if there'll be another.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Having said that, I will always make time to see my Mum on Christmas day. At 96, you never know if there'll be another.
    Your mum must be older than Methuselah if you're 96 (and fully compos mentis for your age too!)

This is scary for anyone with grown-up kids. I hope mine never feel obligated to spend time with me out of a sense of duty. I hope it's because they want to. I wouldn't be offended if they said they wanted to spend Christmas on their own. They know I hate it anyway.
    This is what my sister and i said last year - that this would probably be mum's last christmas. And it was. :( :(

:-/

Quote Originally Posted by El Splod View Post
    This is what my sister and i said last year - that this would probably be mum's last christmas. And it was. :( :(

:-/
    My grandma is 90, and has started off telling everybody she won't be here much longer, and is glad too. I think old people get to a point when they know the end is nigh, and give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses31 View Post
    My grandma is 90, and has started off telling everybody she won't be here much longer, and is glad too. I think old people get to a point when they know the end is nigh, and give up.
    I still have 4 parents/in laws, with a combined age of 347. So I daresay we'll be doing 700 miles over Xmas, visiting.

I'm just a grumpy anti-social git and tell everyone to bog off and talk to me when it's over.

Your mum must be older than Methuselah if you're 96 (and fully compos mentis for your age too!)
    Yes, and I only piss myself occasionally too

Oh, my mum has had enough. She's ready to go.

Yes, and I only piss myself occasionally too

Oh, my mum has had enough. She's ready to go.
    My grandma has a little repertoire of around a dozen or so stock stories from the war, or her early years of marriage in Ireland to my late grandad now that she just regurgitates endlessly. It's as though only the auxiliary systems are still on.

She also shakes her head sadly whenever the grandkids are around and says "I'm glad I'm at this end, and not that end" :hmm:

My gran was the same. She died last year age 91. She outlived my grandpa by 20 years and was the only one left of all her siblings and friends.

I think it must be so sad to have suffered so much loss.

She had tremendous spirit though. Her regular response when asked how she was, was "I'm deid but I'll no lie doon!"

(((Splod)))

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast